Sunday, January 8, 2012

The Mammoth Camera.... nearly complete.

Below are some photos of the Mammoth Camera and how it looks so far. It has been slow getting it together what with other obligations in the shop, but this will be ready to go when the weather begins to get warmer. I have big plans for this camera and I am looking forward to taking it for a spin.



The camera itself is an original 1888 Anthony Climax Portrait Camera (I didn't name it) capable of shooting plates up to 16x16 inches. I was lucky enough to get this camera from the U of O through their surplus program. The lens is a wonderful RJ Beck with a 24" focal length. The bellows are all original and in fantastic condition. I have not made the wet plate conversion back but will be starting on it shortly. I made the carriage out of solid Pine and Ash and added a bit of Victorian flare to the design. Anyone can stick a big camera on a wheel barrow and call it good, but why not make it look nice?


The carriage has several features that add to the ease of use of this massive camera. I designed it so that it holds the camera to nearly exactly my eye level. This makes it much easier to eyeball the shots I want to get before moving the camera into position. The carriage's flat bed which holds the camera is a two layered plank system with a hinged front end so that the camera can be tilted from a level position (shown) to any downward position by simply lifting the back of the bed and locking it in place. The tail off the back of the carriage can be changed in position with the simple pulling and repositioning of two pins. This allows me to change the angle of attack on the tail, tilting the camera upward to any degree I want. When the pins are placed in their highest position, the tail is horizontal to the camera bed; the tail then acts as the yoke to the carriage, allowing me to push or pull the carriage along with one hand without any problems at all. Even though the entire set up as shown weighs nearly 400 pounds, it is remarkably easy to move and position.



On the tail is a small foot stool. This stool is made of Ash with a very nice dark Cherry top. It has grooves on each side that pins in the tail slide into. This allows the stool to be stowed up against the tail when not in use (left), but can easily lock down when in use (right) for a nice and sturdy place to stand when focusing the camera or removing the plate holder slide. This is exceptionally handy if the camera is tilted downward which puts the back much higher in the air.


I designed the carriage to be sturdy and solid but with narrow enough lines to both give a period correct look and not be so overbearing as to take away for the camera itself. I wanted the camera to be the focus of the set up and a bulky, tank like carriage would have taken away that effect. From the front the carriage is sleek and very Victorian in look, with gold filigree trim and black "cast iron" colors.
The wagon wheels were Amish made, solid hickory with cast iron hubs and steel axle. The wheels have rubber on the tread which is not period, but unfortunately required in some venues.


I designed the name graphic to give the carriage a bit of character. It was done with a cut stencil then hand stippled with gold paint. Newport Photographic Co. is the name I recently registered for the photographic equipment building part of my business. For some time I had been building under my exhibit shops name (Yaquina Exhibits) or under my photography businesses name (Yaquina Photography); but neither business really relates. Y. Exhibits builds museum related exhibits and displays and Y. Photography is the business name I use when actually taking pictures, both modern or period. Since I am building a website for the cameras and related equipment that I build, it only made sense to give that facet of my work it's own name... and so Newport Photographic Co. was born. People have an easier time pronouncing it as well. ;^)

More to come soon....

2 comments:

  1. Seriously cool set up! Did you base this on an original?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. I couldn't find many references for camera carriages so I just went with my gut. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

    ReplyDelete